A 3-year-old from south Florida is recovering after a birthday trip to the beach resulted in red sores and blisters from an alleged bacterial infection.
Anais Monteagudo said she and her daughter, Aaliyah, spent July 21 at Key Biscayne’s Crandon Beach. In the following days she noticed swelling and took Aaliyah to Nicklaus Children’s Hospital on July 24, NBC 6 reported.
“[The hospital] said that there’s been a lot of cases from Key Biscayne that are coming in with infections,” Monteagudo told the news outlet.
She later discovered that the Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County issued a no swimming advisory for Crandon Beach North, Crandon Beach South, and Golden Beach on July 18 after samples revealed high levels of fecal bacteria. Monteagudo said she did not see any warning signs at the beach.
Monteagudo is now hoping to make other parents aware by sharing her daughter’s story on Facebook.
“They charge 8 dollars for parking per car. Where is that money going if it’s not making sure the beaches are clean?” her Facebook post reads, in part. “My daughter got two different bacteria infections just by beaing in the beach for not even 2 hours.”
Monteagudo, who said her daughter will likely suffer sacarring “all over her little hands and her chin,” is planning legal action.